There are many different adverse reactions to foods. There are a number of possibilities for “non-reactions” when someone feels very certain that the Alcat Test should have shown certain foods to be reactive.
- The symptoms could be related to an intolerance -the insufficient availability of an enzyme responsible for the breakdown of the food (not a sensitivity). Example – lactose intolerance
- The reaction could be an IgE mediated response (true allergy). The Alcat Test does not test for true allergies, the IgE response, which is immediate.
- The immune system is a dynamic system in the body. What was reactive years or even months ago might no longer be reactive.
- It is possible that the person is not actually reactive to the suspected food but something else normally consumed with it
- The suspected food may no longer be a sensitivity after the avoidance period (sensitivities are not necessarily a lifelong situation. Again, the immune system is a dynamic system in the body).
- GI symptoms could be related to the type/amount of fiber in the offending food, or a fructose intolerance, or FODMAPs intolerance, etc.
- No exposure prior to test? If the suspected foods are still problematic for you, regardless of the Alcat Test results, our suggestion would be that you continue to avoid them. However, foods that have been avoided for a significant period of time may come up nonreactive on the Alcat Test. So the suggestion is to “prime the system” before having the test, so long as there are no true allergies to the food in question (or CD if gluten is in question). With retesting, after the 3-6 month avoidance period, the suggestion is to have all the foods reintroduced and rotated before getting the test again. You may not have reintroduced the food or foods you suspect are problematic prior to the test and that is understandable. However, if in fact, a sensitivity to these foods/components exists, and if the pathway responsible for the reaction happens to rely on exposure, but there was no exposure prior to the test, this could be why they did not come up as reactive.
- It’s also important to be aware that even if the person consumed the foods that he/she suspects are offenders, a reactivity to them still might not occur. Reasons above.